Stuffed Eggplant Canoe
Stuffed eggplant canoe filled with sun-dried tomatoes, chickpeas, spinach, quinoa and a medley of spices, as a perfect main course of a midday.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1/2 diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 diced bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 1.15 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 large handfuls fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp of the eggplant with a spoon, leaving just 1/2 inch of it.
2. Put the eggplant halves cut side up in a baking tray. Drizzle some olive oil on top, as well as add salt and pepper. Roast eggplant for about 29 minutes.
3. Cook quinoa according to package instructions.
4. Place a sauté pan on a medium heat, adding 2 tbsp of olive oil, onions, garlic and red bell pepper. Sauté for 6 minutes. Add the diced pulp of the eggplant and cook it for 6 more minutes, until it begins to soften.
5. Add chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes, canned drained diced tomatoes and spices. Mix well. Turn off the heat and add quinoa, fresh spinach and basil.
6. Scoop the filling inside of the cooked eggplant canoe. Add some feta cheese on top.