“Suffering Bastard” is a cocktail with an intriguing history that dates back to the mid-20th century. It is said to have been created by Joe Scialom, a legendary bartender at the Shepheard’s Hotel in Cairo, Egypt, during the 1940s. The cocktail was reportedly concocted to provide relief for hungover British soldiers and diplomats suffering from the effects of Cairo’s scorching heat.
“Suffering Bastard” cocktail offers a harmonious blend of flavors, with the gin and brandy providing a strong and warming base, while the addition of lime juice adds a bright citrusy tang. The ginger ale gives it a subtle effervescence and a hint of sweetness, resulting in a balanced and refreshing drink that balances its strength with a delightful zestiness.
New Era Drinks
- 1 1/2 oz London dry gin
- 1 1/2 oz brandy (typically bourbon or cognac)
- 1/2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
- 4 oz ginger ale
1. Add bourbon, gin, lime juice and bitters into a shaker with ice, shake until well-chilled (30-35 seconds).
2. Strain into a highball or Collins glass over the ice.
3. Top off the drink with ginger ale.
4. Garnish with a lime wheel or a cherry.